Thursday, February 22, 2007

Chloe'


Last Thursday I had Chloe' put down. I went to a vet I hadn't met before. He lives near Lincoln Park Zoo and helped my sister when she had car trouble last summer. He was so kind to her and the kids, and I knew he was the person I could trust to take care of Chloe'. His office is in Naperville, about an hour drive from Evanston. The sun was shining that day and I played Eva Cassidy on my stereo. Chloe' sat in my lap and watched out the window. Very peaceful, very calm. When we were near the vet, we stopped at Culvers and I got her one of their famous butter burgers, fries and frozen custard. She was so cute. We sat in the car in the sunshine and enjoyed the peace and quiet. When we got to the vet, they put us in a private room where I had quiet time with her. I told her how much I loved her and how having her in my life had made it so much better. I thanked her for being such a good girl all her life. The vet was wonderful. He was gracious and kind. He started out by saying he was sorry we were meeting under these circumstances. He examined Chloe', then looked me straight in the face and assured me I was making the right decision. Even though everyone told me the same thing, it really put me at ease to have his professional opinion. She was strong to the very end and my heart broke when he said she was gone. He stayed in the room with me until I was ready to leave. Driving home I thought about all the wonderful times I had with her. And know she will be in my heart forever. Chloe' meant so much to me and I will treasure the memories of her always. This is the last picture of us taken that afternoon.

No comments: